Located at Triq Sarria in Floriana, Il-Mall is a long shaped garden consisting of pathways leading around a series of monuments, fountains and statues.
The Upper Barrakka Gardens are situated near Castille Place and possess unsurpassed views across the Grand Harbour over to the Three Cities.
The origins of the Upper Barrakka Gardens go back to 1661, when it was a private garden of the Italian Knights, whose inns of residence (auberges) lie close by. It was not before 1824 that it was opened as a public garden and during WWII the garden suffered much destruction. The paths are lined with and the busts, statues and plaques that chart various personalities and other significant events in Maltese history.
Of special interest are the bronze group, known as ‘Les Gavroches’ (street urchins), by an early 20th century Maltese sculptor. Depicting three children hurrying forward, the idea behind this statue was the extreme hardship faced at the turn of the 20th century.
This garden perches on the bastion edge overlooking the entrance to Grand Harbour, commanding a superb viewpoint from the harbour mouth over to Fort Ricasoli, Bighi Palace, Fort St. Angelo and the creeks of Vittoriosa and Kalkara.
Among the trees stands a monument for Sir Alexander Ball, one of the leaders of the Maltese insurgents against the French in the 1798 uprising. When the French surrendered and the British annexed Malta, Alexander Ball was to become the first British Governor of Malta.