Tag Archives: Palace

Selmun Palace | Mellieħa, Malta | 30 September 2014

This palace was built by the Knights in 1783 on a plan by architect Dominic Cachia. Although bearing fine military architecture, it only served as a summer residence and a meeting place for hunting. It resembles Verdala Palace. Inside, one finds to large holes on top of each other and for side rooms. Between 1792 and 1979 it housed a Chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Ransom and was often used by prominent people. The Monte della Redenzione coat of arms over the main entrance shows three loaves and the letter R. Holes visible on the Palace’s facade resulted from an aerial attack during World War II.

Information from:
Rural Development Program for Malta 2007-2013.
The European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development.
Europe Investing in Rural Areas.

© Tony Blood - Selmun Palace, Mellieħa, Malta, 30 September 2014

© Tony Blood – Selmun Palace, Mellieħa, Malta, 30 September 2014

Advertisements

Body Armour | The Palace Armoury | Valletta, Malta | 18 September 2014

© Tony Blood - The Palace Armoury. Valletta, Malta, 18 September 2014

© Tony Blood – The Palace Armoury. Valletta, Malta, 18 September 2014

© Tony Blood - The Palace Armoury. Valletta, Malta, 18 September 2014

© Tony Blood – The Palace Armoury. Valletta, Malta, 18 September 2014

© Tony Blood - The Palace Armoury. Valletta, Malta, 18 September 2014

© Tony Blood – The Palace Armoury. Valletta, Malta, 18 September 2014

© Tony Blood - The Palace Armoury. Valletta, Malta, 18 September 2014

© Tony Blood – The Palace Armoury. Valletta, Malta, 18 September 2014

© Tony Blood - The Palace Armoury. Valletta, Malta, 18 September 2014

© Tony Blood – The Palace Armoury. Valletta, Malta, 18 September 2014

© Tony Blood - The Palace Armoury. Valletta, Malta, 18 September 2014

© Tony Blood – The Palace Armoury. Valletta, Malta, 18 September 2014

Dragonara Casino | Dragonara Palace, St. Julian’s, Malta | 29 July 2014

Built in 1870 as the summer residence of the Marquis Scicluna the Dragonara Palace opened as Malta’s first Casino in 1964. The Dragonara Casino was one of the first major projects to establish Malta as a prime tourist destination.

Now in its 50th year of operation, the Dragonara Casino is managed by Dragonara Gaming Limited; the leading land based gaming operator in Malta. Since taking over the Dragonara Casino in July 2010, Dragonara Gaming Limited has invested more than €15 million to transform and restore the Casino into one of the most prestigious Gaming properties in the Mediterranean. Approximately 350,000 patrons visit the Casino each year making the Dragonara the foremost Casino in Malta.

Dragonara Gaming Limited has grand plans for the Casino as it continues to invest in the property with the aim of creating the most prestigious and established Gaming Venues in Europe. The company is undertaking a multi-million euro investment to convert the building at the northern tip of the Dragonara Peninsula into a multi-purpose Entertainment and Gaming venue like no other in Southern Europe. The new venue to be inaugurated in the fourth quarter of 2014 will include a Poker Venue equipped to host the most significant Global International Poker tournaments, Private Gaming for high-rollers and an Entertainment spot including a beach club during to be used in the summer months.

Information from:
Web: http://thepalace.dragonaracasino.com/index.php/the-casino/palace-history/

© Tony Blood - Dragonara Casino, St. Julian's, Malta, 29 July 2014

© Tony Blood – Dragonara Casino, St. Julian’s, Malta, 29 July 2014