Tag Archives: Parish

Żebbuġ Parish Church | Żebbuġ, Gozo | 30 August 2014

Many churches in Malta and Gozo have works of art made from this onyx but iż-Żebbuġ church is by far the most spectacular. It is covered with this semi-precious stone. The high altar, the choir, and the baptistery are all sculpted out of this onyx.

Iż-Żebbuġ became an independent parish in 1688 and the building of the present church (without the onyx) started in 1690. The church, dedicated to Santa Marija (St Mary) the Assumption, was consecrated in 1726. The Cathedral apart, it is the oldest parish church to be consecrated in Gozo.

Worthy of special mention is the altarpiece of the Immaculate Conception in a chapel in the left transept, known by the locals as tal-Virtut (of the miracles). Local folklore has it that the radiant face of the Virgin turns yellowish and pale before an impending natural catastrophe. It is also said that one day, when some corsairs dared to devastate the countryside as far as the village, a lady that resembled the image in the altarpiece appeared on the spot hurling stones to repel the enemy.

Information from:
Web: http://www.visitgozo.com/en/item/towns-villages/iz-zebbug-1165/

© Tony Blood - Żebbuġ Parish Church, Żebbuġ, Gozo, 30 August 2014

© Tony Blood – Żebbuġ Parish Church, Żebbuġ, Gozo, 30 August 2014

© Tony Blood - Żebbuġ Parish Church, Żebbuġ, Gozo, 30 August 2014

© Tony Blood – Żebbuġ Parish Church, Żebbuġ, Gozo, 30 August 2014

© Tony Blood - Żebbuġ Parish Church, Żebbuġ, Gozo, 30 August 2014

© Tony Blood – Żebbuġ Parish Church, Żebbuġ, Gozo, 30 August 2014

© Tony Blood - Żebbuġ Parish Church, Żebbuġ, Gozo, 30 August 2014

© Tony Blood – Żebbuġ Parish Church, Żebbuġ, Gozo, 30 August 2014

Advertisements

St. Anne Church | Marsaskala, Malta | 22 August 2014

Wied il-Għajn, also known as Marsaskala, became a parish in 1949, and the small church of St. Anne, the property of the Senglea Chapter became the parish church. The present church was built in 1953.

Information from:
Web: http://marsaskalaparish.org/stanna-parish/

© Tony Blood - St. Anne Church. Marsaskala, Malta, 22 August 2014

© Tony Blood – St. Anne Church. Marsaskala, Malta, 22 August 2014

Marsaxlokk Parish Church | Masaxlokk, Malta | 23 July 2014

The Parish Church in the summer resort of Marsaxlokk was built in 1897 and is dedicated to our Lady of Pompei. The parish in Marsaxlokk is today the venue of a national pilgrimage every year on the 8th May.

Information from:
Web: http://www.malta.com/en/local-information/parish-church/marsaxlokk

© Tony Blood - Marsaxlokk Parish Church. Marsaxlokk, Malta, 23 July 2014

© Tony Blood – Marsaxlokk Parish Church. Marsaxlokk, Malta, 23 July 2014

© Tony Blood - Marsaxlokk Parish Church. Marsaxlokk, Malta, 23 July 2014

© Tony Blood – Marsaxlokk Parish Church. Marsaxlokk, Malta, 23 July 2014

© Tony Blood - Marsaxlokk Parish Church. Marsaxlokk, Malta, 23 July 2014

© Tony Blood – Marsaxlokk Parish Church. Marsaxlokk, Malta, 23 July 2014