Tag Archives: Sunset

Panga Cliffs | Kuressaare, Saaremaa, Estonia | 3 July, 2017

A lookout tower situated at the edge of Panga Cliffs allows for stunning views overlooking the forest and Baltic Sea. The clouds and treetops glow as the sun begins to set around 7:30 pm.

For Further Information:
Wen: http://www.saaremaa.ee/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=616

© Tony Blood – Panga Cliffs, Kuressaare, Saaremaa, Estonia. 3 July 2017

St. Mark’s Tower | Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq, Malta | 1 October 2014

The De Redin Towers are a series of small fortified watch towers that Grandmaster Martin de Redin of the Order of Saint John built on the Maltese islands between the years 1658 and 1659. There are 13 on Malta and 1 on Gozo. The towers are in sight of each other, and provided a communication link between Gozo and Grand Harbour, in addition to functioning as watchtowers against attack by Corsairs. They were also designed to withstand an attack if the need arose.

The design is based on the design of the last of the five original Lascaris towers, the Sciuta Tower at Wied iż-Żurrieq, that Grand Master Giovanni Paolo Lascaris, de Redin’s predecessor, had built in 1640. The locals refer to both the five Lascaris towers and the thirteen de Redin towers as “de Redin towers”.

Nine of the fourteen towers still exist today and most are in good condition and accessible to the public. Two towers were destroyed but the remains still survive, while another three were completely demolished and no remains survive.

De Redin towers are featured on the coats of arms of the Armed Forces of Malta, the Malta Stock Exchange and the local council of Pembroke.

Information from:
Web: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Redin_towers

This is one of Grand Master de Redin’s watch towers and is situated a few hundred metres from the Għallis Tower. Also known as St Mark’s Tower, this is probably the third of the thirteen towers built by Grand Master de Redin. The stone work cost 408 scudi and was paid for by the Grand Master. Its construction and history is similar to that for Ghallis Tower and it was built between March 1658 and July of the following year together with the other twelve towers. During the British period a small room was built in front of the Tower to serve as a guard room but only its foundations remain. On the first floor there is an inlet to an underground well.

Information from:
Web: http://www.visitmalta.com/en/info/qaletmarkutower

© Tony Blood - St. Mark's Tower. Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq, Malta, 1 October 2014

© Tony Blood – St. Mark’s Tower. Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq, Malta, 1 October 2014

Sunset | Għajn Tuffieħa Bay, Mellieħa, Malta | 4 September 2014

Għajn Tuffieħa is a popular sandy beach nestling below hills and an unusually-shaped promontory. It is unspoilt and undeveloped, yet has the facilities you need to enjoy a day on the beach sun lounger and umbrella hire, pedallos and a small snack bar.

The beach can only be reached down a steep flight of steps or by a gravel track. The hillside behind is a designated natural park. The foundation managing the hillside has planted tamarisk and samphire to prevent further erosion at this beautiful natural bay. Għajn Tuffieħa’s location means it is not usually as crowded as its neighbour, Golden Bay. However its fine sand and rural surroundings make it the more alluring. The beach is generally safe for swimming but it is prone to strong currents when the wind is to the north-west. A red flag indicates when bathing should be limited to the shallow waters only. A headland to the west side of the bay separates this beach from Ġnejna Bay. All the area is a Special Area of Conservation (SAC) due to unique geological features. Għajn Tuffieħa Bay is managed by the NGO, GAIA Foundation. Beach management includes the services of a lifeguard and safety ropes affixed along the bay. In 2011 the beach was awarded a Beach of Quality award and for 2012. Tip: Linger on after most bathers leave for home and enjoy the best time on the beach – the spectacular sunsets.

Information from:
Web: http://www.visitmalta.com/en/info/ghajntuffieha

© Tony Blood - Sunset. Għajn Tuffieħa Bay, Mellieħa, Malta, 31 August 2014

© Tony Blood – Sunset. Għajn Tuffieħa Bay, Mellieħa, Malta, 31 August 2014

Mellieħa Bay | Mellieħa, Malta | 4 September 2014

Mellieħa Bay is the largest beach of thirteen pocket beaches around Mellieħa. It is a sheltered beach between two headlands and is situated on the Northern part of the Island.

Its sand has a low gradient slope and together with its clear, shallow water makes it the most popular family beach on the island. Mellieħa Bay has most facilities and services including restaurants and two hotels. Some parts of the bay are designated for water sports and wind surfing. Beach management is operated between June and September by the Malta Tourism Authority with the cooperation of Mellieħa Local Council. It includes the services of lifeguards, a small First Aid clinic, two beach supervisors and a number of persons in charge of beach maintenance. It is an accessible beach furnished with a mobile toilet, wheelchair access and special sand wheelchair buggies for physically impaired bathers. In 2011 the beach was awarded a Beach of Quality Award. Mellieħa Bay has an old castle perched on one side while the old village of Mellieħa is situated high on the opposite side. The hinterland of Mellieħa Bay was once an important salt flat and wetland, known as L-Għadira. It is now a Nature Reserve that boasts of indigenous flora and fauna, and is popular with bird watchers who study local and migratory birds. Mellieħa Bay is also referred to as L-Għadira.

Information from:
Web: http://www.visitmalta.com/en/info/melliehabay

© Tony Blood - Mellieħa Bay, Mellieħa, Malta, 4 September 2014

© Tony Blood – Mellieħa Bay, Mellieħa, Malta, 4 September 2014

Burgazadasi | Turkey | 4 July 2014

Burgazada, Burgazadası, or shortly Burgaz (Greek: Αντιγόνη, Antigoni) is the third largest of the Princes’ Islands in the Sea of Marmara, near Istanbul, Turkey.

It is officially a neighbourhood in the Adalar district of Istanbul. Burgaz is a common setting and even a major theme for writer Sait Faik Abasıyanık, where he also resided. Today, his residence is kept as a museum. In 2003 Burgaz suffered a terrible forest fire, losing 4 square kilometres of its entire woodland.

The island consists of a single hill 2 kilometres across. Demetrius I of Macedon, one of the Diadochi (Successors) of Alexander the Great, built a fort (Greek: Pyrgos for fort/tower) here and named it after his father Antigonus I Monophthalmus. The island took this name, but is generally known by the Turks today as simply Burgaz.

Information from:
Web: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgazada

© Tony Blood - Burgazadası, Princes' Islands, Turkey. 4 July 2014

© Tony Blood – Burgazadası, Princes’ Islands, Turkey. 4 July 2014