Lippija Tower, completed in 1637, was the first Lascaris tower to be built. It was built overlooking Ġnejna Bay, and Lascaris himself personally completely financed its construction. It is two storeys high with a flat roof and a parapet. By the early 2000s it was abandoned in a state of disrepair and it was in danger of collapsing. In 2003 the Ministry of Resources and Infrastructure restored it and it is now in good condition.
Malta has an abundance of architectural history. There are multiple layers within each city ranging from the ancient temples of Tarxien, Hagar Qim and Mnajdra to the cathedrals of St. John’s and St. Paul’s. On the streets of Valletta a more recent history is developing before us in the form of its shop fronts. Some of these wooden frontages, kiosks and painted signs can be traced back to the later part of the 19th century. Their signs reveal what the owners occupations were, the services they offered and what they sold. Bars, Pastizzerias and Stationers are just a few of the types of stores that flourished here. Some are still operating under different shops name but most remain closed and out of use. From a total of 112 stores under protection, only 19 are presented here. (Schembri, Times of Malta [online], 2011).